Sunday, June 29, 2003

Behind the scenes - Local Live Ad Insert


Why are my co-workers such idiots??

Going on about 1 hour's sleep trying not to oversleep my responsibilities in the morning, I went over to my friend Dan's house to play cheaufer for him AGAIN. His air shift was going to start right after mine at 12 Noon when I was done with the Grace Lutheran Church service. We were going to do what we in the radio business call.. "a local drop" - meaning that instead of the usual commercials, we were going to play an on air person live from some "stupid" location trying to drum up interest in what a business was selling/doing. Anyway, you remember my 'ol friend Kevin Nelson, right? Well, he was going to go on the air between our FOX Sports national show for 2 minutes at a time talking about these hot tubs that a company was trying to sell. This is the most expensive commercials we or any other radio station offers. You might have heard a station in your area do a live broadcast from a car dealership. Okay.. enough with the need to know information.

First of all, Kevin shows up at the station late. How professional! He makes one of the new sales girls Dena "total babe but married" H. worry about getting to the site and setting up with all the equipment. So, here is the four of us, Dena, Me, Dan and Kevin standing in the hallway of the studio talking about how we were going to do the "live drops". Since I am the only one who gives a crap and is familiar with the station's format of when the commericals regularly run, when they stop, and how they work, I had to tell the three of them when it when Kevin was expected to be on. Here's a clue, Kevin and Dan... IF YOU ACTUALLY F---ING LISTENED TO THE F---ING STATION THAT YOU F---ING WORK FOR, YOU'D KNOW WHAT TIME THE F---ING COMMERCIALS COME ON!

I have to say this again, because I feel this bears repeating.

Why are my co-workers such idiots?

The frustrating thing is that me, struggling as it is with no money, have to go the extra mile, and work for minimum wage for these people when 'experienced' people like Kevin and Dan get to half ass it all the time?

Dame Broadcasting on-air people (WRSC, QWK Rock, Hot 107.9) get $75 dollars for the first hour for 6 minutes of work. I get $5.25.

Money well spent, Al Dame!

No comments: